Olemike's Blog

Archive for the ‘Culture’ Category

American’s Heartland

Posted by olemike on 06/11/2012

If you do not watch America’s Heartland, you are missing out big time.  For the farmers out there (even the back yard farmers), this is a show to watch.  Here locally, it is on PBS every Wednesday evening at 07:30 P.M.

Each week they present 3 or 4 individual stories about the farmers across the nation.  I am inspired every time I watch.  It’s make you proud to be an American.

Check it out.  You won’t be sorry.


Posted in Culture, Gardening | Tagged: , , , | 4 Comments »

Rich vs. Rich

Posted by olemike on 10/12/2011

It’s pretty hard for me to summon much sympathy for either side in the financial struggle the NBA is currently going through. It is one group of millionaires negotiating with another group of millionaires. Does anyone really care who wins? The fact of the matter is – the little guy loses no matter what. Been to a NBA game recently? The price of a ticket is astronomical. Beer and hot dog prices are ridiculous. Parking is $10-$20 bucks. Who can afford this? The last time I went, I had $10 nose bleed seats where you needed an oxygen tank to breath because it was so high up. I should have stayed home and watch it on TV. But, then there’s the price of cable. Don’t get me started. I wonder if I could start a ” Occupy ARCO Arena” protest group?

Posted in Culture | 2 Comments »

Stand Up for Christmas

Posted by olemike on 12/07/2010

I was dismayed to read this article about Chase Bank forcing a christmas tree removal from a bank in Southlake, Texas.  If  91% of the people  celebrate Christmas, who would be offended?  I fear for our country when we have become so politically correct that we now cannot display items such as a christmas tree for fear of offending some small group of people who would have us destroy years of tradition.  Why would the preference of 9% (or less) of the people take precedence of the other 91%?  Can anyone explain this to me?  When will we realize that if we don’t stand  for something, we stand for nothing.

Posted in Culture | 2 Comments »

Dancing with Sarah Palin

Posted by olemike on 11/08/2010

As a Dancing With the Stars fan, I have to wonder why Bristol Palin in still in the competition.   With only a few weeks left in the season, she has outlived her skill level by 3 or 4 weeks.  The only way to explain this is that fans of her mother are voting for her even though she is currently and has been for the last 2 or 3 weeks the weakest dancer left in the competition.  Bristol can’t possibly have a personal fan base to keep her around this long.  Obviously, Sarah has a lot of fans in the demographic that watches this show.  However, it’s time for reality to take hold.  In fairness to the other competitors,  Bristol should be going home this week.

Posted in Culture | 4 Comments »